Crewneck sweatshirts and sweaters have been a staple of men’s wardrobes for decades, cherished for their versatility and comfort. Nearly everyone has a favourite sweatshirt or sweater, and because of their thicker material, they tend to hang around for ages. Sure they’re not as casual as a stylish hoodie or as comfortable and cozy as a flannel shirt, but they still make a great part of any stylish man’s wardrobe. The modern iteration leans toward a slimmer, tailored cut, but the essential design hasn’t changed much aside from an updated profile. Let’s take a closer look at exactly what qualifies as a crewneck sweatshirt or sweater.
The term “crewneck” comes from the circular neckline sweaters worn by rowers in the early 1900s. Rowers were referred to collectively as “the crew.” This athletic design is also associated with t-shirts.
What’s the difference between a sweater and a sweatshirt? A sweatshirt is predominately for working out but can just as easily double as loungewear or just an extra layer for when it gets chilly. Sweaters are usually heavier and are reserved for the fall and winter months. There are sweaters made of a lighter material that is breathable enough to wear year-round.
Now that we’re clear on the distinctions, our curated list will guide you to find the best sweatshirts and sweaters for your modern ensembles or to share with loved ones as a gift. A comfortable, warm, stylish piece of apparel is always well received. Below are some of our top recommendations.
Our recommendation for the best lightweight crewneck sweatshirt found on this list is the City Sweat Crew by lululemon. Featuring a side zipper for an adjustable fit and a nifty internal storage pocket, this crewneck is great for athletic wear or integrating into any casual outfit.
Buck Mason’s use of resilient, heat-retaining French terry cotton and tough-stitched seams elevate this wardrobe basic into our candidate for the best heavyweight crewneck sweatshirt.
SOFTEST CREWNECK SWEATSHIRT
The Fillmore Sweatshirt by Taylor Stitch is our pick for the softest crewneck sweatshirt for its 100% organic cotton material. Blending cotton with other materials like polyester gives it desirable qualities like extra stretch and durability, but nothing will beat pure organic cotton when it comes to softness and comfort.
The Billy Reid Dover Sweatshirt’s distressed leather patches and modern vintage aesthetic stole our hearts, earning its spot as the best vintage crewneck on our list. The herringbone twill texture and piping details on the seams bring it to a higher level of quality.
1. Heathered Twill Terry Vintage Crew – Buck Mason
Vintage crewneck sweatshirts complement any casual look, from full athletic wear to the old pullover and jeans. Buck Mason’s vintage crew is a simple wardrobe basic elevated by superior materials and techniques. The resilient French terry cotton is knit for heat retention and breathability, so you’ll rarely be too hot or too cold. This selection is great for a crisp autumn jog or walking the pier on a windy day. Twill loops contribute to a skin-soft texture that works with or without an undershirt.
- Washed down, exceptionally soft fabric
- Cut full for comfortable maneuverability
- The soft twill loop texture on the inside is comfortable without a shirt
- Breathable heat-retaining knit
- Available in Slate Sunfade or Oat colours
- Fabric: 100% Loopback French Terry Cotton
- Care: Machine wash cold, tumble dry low
- Manufacturer: Buck Mason
2. Everlane – The No-Sweat Sweater – Uniform
If you’re working from home and looking for the right garment to keep you cozy without making you sweat, Uniform’s No-Sweat Sweater is a stylish and comfortable choice. They blended organic cotton with a moisture-wicking polyester fabric that keeps your back from turning into a Rorschach test of sweat.
Uniform isn’t just selling a gimmicky fabric, though; this sweater is a fashionable accompaniment that’s built to look good and to last. A 365-day guarantee backs them, so if a premature rip develops or the sweater shrinks in the wash, Uniform will gladly replace it.
- COOLMAX polyester wicks moisture away from the skin, keeping you dry and comfortable
- Uniform 365 Day Guarantee- If it doesn’t last a year, they’ll gladly replace it.
- Stylish thick ribbed neckline and cuffs
- Colours: New Black, Heathered Ash, Heathered Midnight, Chalk
- Fabric: 60% Organic Cotton, 40% COOLMAX EcoMade (recycled) polyester
- Care: Machine wash cold. Lay flat to dry. Or Dry Clean
- Manufacturer: Uniform
3. Jordan Crew Sweatshirt
Crewneck sweatshirts for men are often slightly oversized, but Marine Layer’s Jordan Crew sweatshirt features a streamlined cut. If you prefer the baggier aesthetic, just grab a size up. The minimalist design resembles the distinctly coloured layers of a sunset, echoing Marine Layer’s logo.
Three colourways are available to suit your tastes, featuring improved organic cotton and a recycled polyester blend that has been specially treated for softness. This process, called “peaching,” involves stretching the freshly manufactured garment as it dries to achieve a peach-skin fuzzy texture that retains heat and feels superbly soft.
- Subdued, calm colour pattern reminiscent of a sunset
- Made responsibly from recycled materials
- Fabric is “peached” for extra softness
- Colorways: 3 Color Combinations
- Fabric: 60% Organic Cotton, 40% Recycled Polyester
- Care: Wash cold, dry low
- Manufacturer: Marine Layer
4. Mack Weldon – Ace Crewneck Sweatshirt
Sporting a navy blue crewneck sweatshirt with a collared undershirt, perhaps with a little shirttail hanging out, is a classic look. The Ace crewneck sweatshirt in Total Eclipse blue fits that image nicely, with a modern tailored fit, finely ribbed cuffs, and a reinforced neckline that features the iconic v-stitch. Raglan sleeves are often employed in casual clothing; a diagonal shoulder seam contributes to a comfortable, informal look. 95% cotton fabric is remarkably cozy, with just enough stretch.
- Stylish tailored fit
- Finely ribbed cuffs and neck
- Reinforced collar
- Raglan (diagonal seam) sleeve
- Colours: Grey Heather, Total Eclipse Blue
- Fabric: 95% Cotton, 5% stretch
- Care: Machine wash cold, tumble dry low
- Manufacturer: Ace
5. Taylor Stitch – The Fillmore Crewneck in Saffron Terry
Taylor Stitch makes rugged basics that are comfy and reliable. The Fillmore is a heavier crewneck that’s perfect for an autumn journey to find yourself amongst the fallen leaves of some tranquil forest. It features heavyweight ribbing in the usual spots, but with the addition of ribbed side panels that lend a fitted appearance without sacrificing comfort.
The saffron colour is sacred to the Hindu people and represents impurities burnt away by fire. Holy men who have renounced the world in favour of a simple ascetic lifestyle often wear saffron robes. Perhaps no other sweatshirt is better suited to a meditative stroll away from the artificial warmth of civilization.
- Heavyweight rib on cuffs, neck, bottom hem, and side panels.
- Dyed and washed for a vintage look and feel
- Perfect weight for fall
- Colour: Saffron
- Fabric: 100% organic cotton French terry
- Care: Wash cold and tumble dry low
- Manufacturer: Taylor Stitch
6. Everlane – The Grade-A Cashmere Crew
One of the more luxurious crewneck sweaters for men on our list, the Grade-A Cashmere Crew by Everlane, is true to its name. Everlane sources their Grade-A cashmere from goats raised in Inner Mongolia, selecting only the longest, finest fibres to ensure the fabric is light and strong. Quality cashmere fabric is one of the most expensive natural textiles due to its lightweight comfort and durability, so the price of cashmere clothing is a bit elevated.
What Everlane does with their pricing is quite innovative; their website gives you context by breaking down the cost of your item by things like material, labour, and transport expenses. This transparent pricing shows that they manage to keep prices way lower than those of the marked-up traditional retail stores.
- Grade-A Cashmere sourced from Inner Mongolia
- Reinforced ribbing at the neck and cuffs
- Slim athletic fit
- Colours: Black, Charcoal, Heather Grey, Dark Navy
- Fabric: Body: 100% Cashmere; Trimmings: 90% Cashmere, 9% Nylon, 1% Elastane
- Care: Machine wash cold, lay flat to dry, or dry clean
- Manufacturer: Everlane
7. Reigning Champ Men’s Mid Weight Terry Sweatshirt
Reigning Champ’s handmade 100% cotton sweatshirts are a comfortable and versatile choice that pairs well with jeans or sweatpants. This is a tough, nearly indestructible sweatshirt bred for the Canadian wilderness. Whether you’re lounging at the cabin or hiking in the crisp mountain air, this mid-weight terry sweatshirt strikes the perfect balance between keeping you warm and not overheating you.
The great thing about modern sweatshirts like these is their flattering tailored fit. If you prefer the traditional style of an oversized crewneck sweatshirt, order a size larger. In either case, the French terry fabric will only get softer and more comfortable with repeated washings.
- Subtly frayed seams lend a worn-in quality
- More comfortable with every wash
- Made in Canada
- Colours: Heather Grey, Navy, Black, Heather Charcoal, Silt
- Fabric: 100% Cotton
- Care: Wash cold
- Manufacturer: Reigning Champ
8. Outerknown – Hightide Crew
We love this classic-fitting crewneck sweater from OuterKnown because it checks every box when you’re looking for a comfy, stylish, durable sweater. Terry towelling is damn near snuggable, and OuterKnown cranked up the comfort by an additional notch with a brushed interior that only gets more comfortable with repeated wearing. The Hightide Crew comes in various eye-catching colours like Ash Blue, Curry, and Lawn Party (a rich green.)
Its material is a long-lasting blend of organic cotton and recycled polyester so that you can feel a bit better about the carbon footprint of your purchase.
Rock this look with knee-length shorts and beach sandals at the bonfire with friends on a cool summer night, and you’ll feel like you’re in a draft beer commercial. In a good way.
- Cut from cozy terry towelling
- Brushed interior for maximum softness
- Cool “OK” label on the hem
- The polyester is made from 100% post-consumer waste, like plastic water bottles
- Colours: 7 options including Cedar, Mauve, and Lawn Party
- Fabric: 54% organic cotton and 46% recycled polyester
- Care: Machine wash cold. Do not bleach. Tumble dry low. Low iron if necessary. Dry cleanable.
- Manufacturer: Outerknown
9. City Sweat Crew
Lululemon is known for its athletic apparel, and they’ve applied that aesthetic to great effect with this slim, stretchy crewneck. The City Sweat Crew features added Lycra in the fabric blend, which lends the garment a satisfying elasticity that helps retain its shape.
A hidden internal pocket serves as a modern twist that’s great for stashing your phone or other belongings. Setting this sweatshirt further apart from the norm is its bodyside zipper, great for adjusting the fit for layering.
- Designed for mobility, athletic lifestyle aesthetic
- Added Lycra for stretch and shape retention
- Hidden internal pocket to stash your things
- Underarm gusset for increased range of motion
- Colours: 6, including White Opal, Delicate Mint, and Iron Blue
- Fabric: Rib: 59% Cotton, 38% Polyester, 3% Elastane.
- Body: 52% Polyester, 42% Cotton, 6% Lycra
- Contrast: 86% Recycled polyester, 14% elastane
- Care: Machine wash cold with like colours, do not bleach or dry clean
- Manufacturer: lululemon
10. Goodthreads Men’s Soft Cotton Rib Stitch Crewneck Sweater
Goodthreads is Amazon’s collection of men’s apparel that “takes wear-everywhere apparel to the next level.” This sweatshirt lives up to the name, featuring the best thread, 100% soft-as-lambswool cotton. The material is dyed in a wide array of 13 colour choices, including darker shades like solid burgundy and navy and bright blue and vintage white.
A loose-fitting ribbed sweater is a highly versatile staple of any modern closet. Amazon succeeds in offering a quality version that leaves room in the right places while tapering the waist to avoid an overly baggy look.
- Easy through the chest and tapered waist
- Reinforced ribbing on cuffs and neckline
- Super-soft natural fibre midweight yarn
- Affordably priced Amazon brand
- Colours: 13 in various vivid shades
- Fabric: 100% Cotton
- Care: Machine wash
- Manufacturer: Goodthreads
11. Billy Reid Dover Sweatshirt
Many accolades have been bestowed upon designer Billy Reid, and for a good reason. His collections take an artisan approach, featuring uniquely sharp-fitting designs made from custom-developed materials. The Dover Sweatshirt takes the basic structure of a crewneck sweatshirt and treats it with the attention to detail it deserves. Every aspect is carefully designed, from the soft-yet-rugged cotton polyester fabric to the seams’ herringbone twill texture and piping details. The most striking feature is the addition of distressed leather elbow pads that elevate this sweatshirt from high-quality to modern vintage.
It’ll be so comfortable you won’t want to leave the house, but fashionable enough that you’ll want to show it off–this type of dilemma is a good problem to have.
- Made in Canada
- Distressed leather elbow patches
- Ribbed cuffs and hem
- Herringbone twill detailing
- Colours: 3 Options including Black, Dark Midnight, and Grey, all with leather patches in complementary shades
- Fabric: 80% Cotton, 20% polyester
- Care: Hand wash in tepid water, roll in towel to remove moisture, flatten to dry
- Manufacturer: Billy Reid
12. Todd Snyder Midweight Pocket Sweatshirt
A collaboration between New York fashion designer Todd Snyder and Champion, this highly wearable sweatshirt is the perfect weight for an everyday pullover. Loopback French terry provides longer moisture-wicking interior threads, along with a remarkably smooth exterior hand feel. Champion’s touch can be seen in the casual raglan sleeve seams and a hand-cut chest pocket and pressed using a special moulding process.
- Loopback French terry fabric provides a soft hand feel with longer absorbent threads on the interior
- Hand cut and pressed left breast pocket
- Collaboration between the NY fashion designer and athletic apparel brand Champion
- Colours: 11 options including Light Grey, Honeycomb, and Vintage Claret
- Fabric: 18 oz french terry
- Care: Machine wash
- Manufacturer: Todd Snyder + Champion
13. Issued By: Garment Dyed Crew Sweatshirt – Todd Snyder
Echoing the designs of old-fashioned athletic wear, this crew sweatshirt from Todd Snyder faithfully reproduces your favourite decades-old Doritover with a modern tailored fit. Everything from the flat-lock stitching on the seams, the choice of French terry fabric, and the ribbed sweat-wicking triangle on the neckline are made with the iconic sweatshirt aesthetic in mind. The pigment dyeing method produces soft, weathered-looking colours that are great with a faded pair of jeans.
- Vintage, old-fashioned design from the bottom up
- A modern, slightly tailored fit, updated classic
- Made in Canada
- Pigment dyed for soft, weathered colours
- Colours: 6 choices including Olive, Copper Clay, and Navy Sand
- Fabric: 20 oz French terry
- Care: Machine wash
- Manufacturer: Todd Snyder
14. Men’s Athletic Sweats, Classic Crewneck Sweatshirt – L.L.Bean
With a solid reputation for sweatshirts already, L.L.Bean’s new classic crewneck tweaks their winning design slightly with an improved fit and durable stitching. If you’re looking for a solid navy sweatshirt for men that won’t shrink upon the first wash, this one is pre-washed for a consistent fit. It features the traditional ribbed trim at the neckline, hem, and cuffs; roll the sleeves up partway, and the stretchy material will keep them secure. All the vintage sweatshirt colour options are available, so you can have a grey or indigo to go with your navy blue.
- Flat-lock stitching on the seams for durability
- Pre-washed to prevent shrinkage for a consistent fit
- Inside surface brushed for exceptional warmth and softness
- Colours: 4 options including Navy and Vintage Indigo
- Fabric: 91% cotton, 9% polyester
- Care: Machine wash and dry
- Manufacturer: L.L.Bean
15. Recycled Cotton Crewneck Sweater – Todd Snyder
Todd Snyder’s crewneck sweater for men is made from 100% recycled cotton from repurposed Italian yarn. Over time, the knit holds its shape without becoming loose and baggy, which can happen with lesser quality sweaters. A choice of raglan sleeve seams lends this sweater the sportier look of a sweatshirt, contributing to a sleeker profile. It’s a fashionable sweater that can easily be layered under a suit jacket or stand on its own with dark wash jeans and boots to complement.
- Made entirely of recycled material
- Sweatshirt style raglan sleeves
- Solid but breathable nine gauge weight
- Yarn designed to hold its shape without bagging out
- Colours: 3 choices- Brass, Orange, or Black
- Fabric: 100% recycled cotton from imported Italian yarn
- Care: Dry clean only
- Manufacturer: Todd Snyder