Rolltop backpacks are essential when you want a flexible bag for your overnight hiking, camping, or outdoor work schedule. These, often lightweight yet voluminous bags, have a top closure similar to a dry bag. The main difference being is that they feature various levels of water resistance rather than being entirely waterproof. And, most have a hydration bag instead of a water bottle pocket. But of course, that’s not a rule as designers and manufacturers of the best rolltop backpacks continue to experiment with features, materials and shapes.
That being said, the top roll-top backpacks have streamlined forms with fewer but larger compartments. They often use fewer zippers than a standard backpack, thus making them more durable and water-resistant. Roll-top backpacks are a great pick for anyone who prefers minimalist travel.
BEST ROLLTOP DRYBAG
The 35 L and 55 L EARTH PAK WATERPROOF BACKPACK is our pick for the best rolltop drybag. This heavy-duty backpack is fully waterproof and comes equipped to latch on your boat or fishing equipment. Available in five stylish colourways, the Earth Pak is a great backpack for cyclists or night-time commuters as it also features built-in reflective strips.
BEST ROLLTOP BACKPACK FOR HIKING
The 2400 JUNCTION is a spacious rolltop backpack with an expandable top closure to fit up to a massive 50 L of cargo. It includes a hydration bladder, sturdy straps, mesh pockets, and a hip belt essential in a hiking adventure. It’s a terrific companion that will suit all your hiking needs in practically any environment.
BEST ROLLTOP BACKPACK FOR MINIMALISTS
We started Worn Simple for people that value the minimalist aesthetic. In many ways, continue to look for products that adhere to this design principle. So we thought it would be best to recommend the LEVI’S COMMUTER ROLLTOP BACKPACK as our choice rolltop backpack for minimalists. It features a discrete, stylish design that includes a full-length side zipper for quick access to the main compartment.
BEST ROLLTOP BACKPACK FOR TRANSIT COMMUTING
If you’re a frequent transit commuter, the PIVOT ROLL TOP BACKPACK gives you secure zippered pockets, an expandable bottle sleeve, and four easily accessible exterior pockets ideal for anyone commuting in crowded public transport. As a result, we recommend it as the best rolltop backpack for transit commuting. It’s also quite environmentally friendly as it’s made from 50% recycled materials.
BEST ROLLTOP BACKPACK FOR BIKE COMMUTING
Our choice for the best rolltop backpack for bike commuting is the TIMBUK2 TUCK PACK. It’s ideal for toting your laptop up to 16 inches and offers a cavernous interior made of 900D polyester. Added extras push this rolltop backpack over the top with details like vista loops for bike light mounting and reflective zippers that improve your visibility.
BEST ROLLTOP BACKPACK FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS
Photographers tend to value rolltop backpacks because of their large carrying capacity and ability to resist the elements. For photographers, we recommend the BESNFOTO DSLR CAMERA BACKPACK. Apart from being stylish, spacious, and designed for an organized carry, it has a detachable camera compartment that you can carry separately inside another bag.
BEST LEATHER ROLLTOP BACKPACK
Finally, the URBAN DEZIRE MEN’S LEATHER VINTAGE ROLL ON LAPTOP BACKPACK is our choice for the best leather rolltop backpack. It uses a full-grain leather construction that ages well over the course of time. And, its inner canvas lining will keep your up-to-seventeen-inch laptop dry regardless of the weather.
1. Victorinox Altmont Classic Rolltop Laptop Backpack
The Victorinox Rolltop Laptop backpack exudes classic Swiss heritage, featuring a simplistic design that prioritizes organization, easy access, and a stylish finish. With this rolltop, you get a padded sleeve to fit your 13” to 15” laptop. Plus, there are zippered storage slots and multiple file dividers to keep your luggage organized. If planning to be out in the field, you can carry your favourite drink and use the convenient bottle opener that comes with this backpack.
- Padded 15.4” laptop compartment
- Adjustable side pockets
- Full-length vertical zippers
- File dividers, internal zippered pockets
- 18 L storage capacity
- Brand: Victorinox
- Dimensions: 11.42″W x 17.32″H x 5.91″D
- Weight: 1.54 lbs
- Material: Fabric
- Available Colours: Burgundy, Deep Lake
The TIMBUK2 Tuck Pack is a medium-sized, water-resistant rolltop backpack to hold and organize your bike helmet, jacket, sneakers, smartphone, and accessories. Plus, it has ample external pockets to keep your water bottle and umbrella and mount your flashing bike lights. There is also a padded laptop compartment to fit your 16” laptop or iPad pro. Despite using dark colour themes, the tuck pack has bright; reflective zipper pulls to keep you visible to other road users.
- Easily accessible pockets while on the move
- Easy to open buckle at the rolltop closure
- Comfortable padded straps
- Vista loops for your bike light mount
- 20 L storage capacity
- Brand: Timbuk2
- Dimensions: 20 x 17 x 3 inches; 1.5 Pounds
- Material: Rugged 900D Polyester
- Available colours: Black, Gunmetal, Jet Black, Nautical/Bixi, Sidewalk
3. 2400 Junction Rolltop Backpack
2400 Junction is a hiking rolltop backpack designed to hold essential supplies for up to 4 days of travel. It features a 40L internal space, an 8″ x 14” mesh sleeve for a hydration bladder, an external mesh pocket, a hip belt with zippered pockets, and extra storage space all around to carry an additional 9.8L. The backpack uses compression and sternum straps at the top, shoulders, and side loops to balance the luggage on your back. And, its ¼” foam back panel protects you from injury when trekking while carrying a heavy load.
- Water-resistant components
- Easy access center and side pockets
- Sturdy YKK zippers
- Triglide buckles, sternum straps
- Retails in small, medium, large & tall sizes up to 40 L
- Brand: Hyperlite Mountain Gear
- Dimensions: 10.5″ x 30” x 33.5″; Top Circumference – 37.5″
- Weight: 1.88 lbs (white), 1.99 lbs (black)
- Material: DCH50 & DCH150
- Available Colours: White, Black
4. Filson DRY BACKPACK
Happen to take part in white water rafting or any other water-based or boat-based activities? The quality of your bag can be a literal lifesaver or have serious consequences on the gear you’re toting with you. That’s why; the Filson Dry Backpack opts for a lightweight, waterproof rolltop backpack design ideal for rafting, fishing, and hiking. Fabricated out of durable nylon tarpaulin fabric and TPU reinforcements to keep it flexible, this backpack is fully abrasion-resistant. This fabric has a stylish and bright finish that is visible from far, and the RF welded seams, and padded inner compartments protect your precious equipment.
- Industry-standard, durable, waterproof components
- EVA foam padded breathable back panel
- Comfortable padded shoulder straps with D-strings
- Adjustable sternum straps, zippered pockets
- 28 L storage capacity
- Brand: Filson
- Dimensions: 20″H x 12 ½”W x 6 ½”D
- Weight: Unknown
- Material: 840D Nylon
- Available Colours: Flame, Green
5. LEVI’S® COMMUTER™ Rolltop Backpack
When shopping for a commuter backpack that can withstand rigorous day-to-day use on your bike or public transport, consider picking up the Levis Commuter Rolltop Backpack. Designed by a leading clothing brand, it is part of the brand’s commuter collection that includes functional yet stylish jeans, shirts, hoodies, and jackets. This rolltop backpack uses a water-resistant neutral tone with the signature Levi’s® copper rivets and real leather accents. Inside the bag is a 15” laptop compartment that is easily accessible via a full-length side zipper. And, small zippered pockets will fit your notebooks, phones, or cycling accessories. This is one hell of a stylish rolltop!
- Technical 3D ventilated foam back panel
- Front loops for extra attachment
- Added inner elastic keychain
- 33 L storage capacity
- Adjustable sternum and shoulder straps
- Brand: Levi’s®
- Dimensions: 13″ X 7.8″ X 19.7″
- Weight: Unknown
- Material: Cordura-enhanced Canvas
- Colour: Grey
6. The Vandal Rolltop Backpack
When taking a trip, you often wind up overpacking, and that’s ok, but wouldn’t it be great if you could get plenty of storage while still using the same bag when shopping or simply walking around or commuting in the city. That’s where the Vandal from Mission Workshop comes in. This rolltop backpack allows you to switch from a 29 L to a 65 L capacity instantly. This convenient double-capacity backpack features six spacious, weatherproof compartments. And, it uses a carbon fibre internal frame sheet to maintain its upright shape. Likewise, there is a zippered laptop sleeve and extra front zippered pockets for your smaller items. Yes, it’s on the higher end in terms of pricing, but worth every dollar.
- Switches from a roll-top to a flap down closure in an instant
- Fits up to 17” laptops and tablets
- The reinforced internal frame suspension system
- Urethane coated zippers
- Optional waist belt
- Brand: Mission Workshop
- Dimensions: 15″ x 21″ x 6″
- Weight: 4.4 lbs.
- Material: Fabric
- Available Colours: Black, Grey, Charcoal, Black Camo
7. Fjallraven Ulvo Rolltop 23L Backpack
This functional yet stylish rolltop backpack is excellent for weekend outings or daily urban commutes. It features a lightweight, waterproof, rip-stop nylon fabric with compartments that hold up to 23L of stuff. Its roll-top closure seals the padded compartments to protect your laptop and hiking or gym gear from rain, bumps and damage. There is also a zippered side pocket for quick access to the main compartments. And, if you’re a cyclist, its riding accessories include a belt light loop, water bottle holder, and mesh straps for comfortable and convenient riding.
- Padded laptop sleeve & shoulder straps
- 23 L storage capacity
- One gear loop & belt light loop
- 1-year manufacturer warranty
- Brand: Fjallraven
- Dimensions: 17 x 10.2 x 4.7 inches
- Weight: 1lb, 7oz
- Material: 100% 400D Nylon
- Available Colours: Mountain Blue, Red Gold, Black
8. Harvest Label Urban Rolltop Backpack 2.0
When you buy the Harvest Label Urban Rolltop Backpack 2.0, you can expect a spacious rolltop backpack composed of durable parts like long-lasting 1000D polyester and leather accents. An internal main compartment sports three inner pockets, and three outer pockets complete the storage options at the front and side. All these pockets are designed to keep all your gear, small and large, nicely organized. Additionally, you can use the two D-rings on the shoulder straps for attachment to other bags.
- Aesthetic leather finish
- Convenient quick side access
- Comfortable padded shoulder straps & back panel
- Magnetic snap button closure
- Brand: Harvest Label
- Dimensions: 11 x 5 x 15 inches
- Weight; 1.9 Pounds
- Material: PU Coated 1000D Polyester, Vegetable Tanned Leather Accents
- Available Colours: Black, Navy
9. F-stop – Dalston 21L Roll Top Camera Backpack
Do you prefer carrying your camera gear without making it obvious to those around you? Perhaps you’re not a fan of being mugged for your expensive photography gear while travelling. Then the f-stop Dalston 21L Roll Top Camera Backpack might be the right answer. This capable roll-top backpack is a slim, water-resistant bag with sexy street appeal. The bag keeps your expensive photography gear and accessories safe from damage or pickpockets without raising unnecessary attention on the crowded streets of Rome, Paris or New York. It does this courtesy of its 21 L storage capacity that includes a 15” laptop sleeve. Plus, it has five convenient internal dividers to organize your photography gear.
- Slim profile with easy access points
- Padded back panel
- Reinforced grab handle
- Fits a 15” laptop or tablet
- 21 L storage capacity
- Brand: F-stop
- Dimensions: 18.9 x 11.4 x 6.3 inches
- Weight: 1.8 lbs
- Material: 420D Ripstop Nylon
- Available Colours: Aloe, Nasturtium (Orange)
10. Barrage Cargo Backpack
Do you cycle to work and need a highly capable, water-resistant backpack that you know you can rely on? Make sure to check out the Barrage Cargo Backpack from Chrome Industries. This is a stylish rolltop backpack designed specifically for your commute. It’s comfortable on your back, rugged, and keeps your gear dry even in super-wet riding conditions. It’s also good at keeping your back nice and cool on hot summer days. It does all of this courtesy of its ballistic nylon fabric with an inner liner and watertight welded seams. And, it relies on a comfortable EVA foam back panel for a fatigue-free carry.
- Fits up to 15” laptops and tablets
- Exterior webbing net for helmets and cycling kit
- Easily accessible side pockets
- Reflective seatbelt-styled straps
- 18 L – 22 L storage capacity
- Brand: Chrome Industries
- Dimensions: 20″ H | 11.75 “W | 6” D
- Weight: 3.04 lbs
- Material: 1050D Nylon, 18oz Truck Tarpaulin Liner
- Available Colours: Black
11. PRVKE – 31L Rolltop Backpack
The PRVKE – 31L is a heavy-duty rolltop travel backpack incorporates durable, weather-resistant parts throughout its construction. Despite its intended use as a photographer’s backpack, you may customize the sections to suit any other use. Indeed, the bag has a main compartment accessible via three convenient points. Its travel-friendly design includes quick access roll-top closure, clamshell opening & side access. Hence, you can use it for your laptop, electronics, and other gadgets on your business travel for a quick pass at the security check.
- Zippered and expandable pockets
- Multiple exterior attachment points
- Heavy-duty haul handles
- Comfortable, flexible straps & padded back panel
- 31 L – 35 L storage capacity
- Brand: WANDRD
- Dimensions: 19” x 12½” x 7½”
- Weight: 3.4 lbs
- Material: TPU-Coated Tarpaulin, Ballistic 1680D Woven Nylon, YKK Zippers, Aluminum Hardware
- Available Colours: Black, Aegean Blue, Wasatch Green
12. CamelBak – Pivot™ Roll Top Backpack
This amazing backpack is a lightweight, minimalistic rolltop bag ideal for daily commuting. It is a reservoir-compatible backpack for anyone who wants the flexibility of getting rid of the hydration pack. And, its zippered pockets and expandable bottle sleeve come in handy when hiking or attending a day festival. More so, the backpack has up to half of its components crafted from recycled single-use plastics. Your purchase is an excellent chance to reduce your carbon footprint and get rid of the already choking plastics draining into our ecosystems.
- Uses up to 50% repurposed materials
- 4 Exterior pockets
- Detachable sternum straps
- Easy access magnetic buckle closure
- 20 L storage capacity
- Brand: CamelBak
- Dimensions: 16.1 in x 13.4 in x 1 in
- Weight: 12 oz
- Material: Repurposed Materials
- Available Colours: Black, Bright White, Dusty Olive
13. Earth Pak Waterproof Backpack: 35L / 55L Heavy Duty Roll-Top
The Earth Pak Waterproof Backpack is a premium dry bag retailing in 35L and 55L capacities and five attractive colour themes. It uses durable PVC for its body makeup, coupled with an innovative storage design to give you spacious and easily accessible storage for your hiking, kayaking, camping, or backcountry trip. Furthermore, this rolltop from Earth Pak has extras like splash-proof zippers, convenient D-rings, and a MOLLE looping system that allows you to latch the bag onto your boat or bike. There are also reinforced contoured shoulder straps, a balanced heavy-duty waist belt, and a padded back panel for added comfort.
- Brand: Earth Pak
- Dimensions: 19.92 x 16.61 x 3.15 inches
- Weight: 2.43 lbs.
- Material: 500D PVC Fabric
- Available Colours: Black, Blue, Gray, Green, Yellow
- Brand: Inov-8
- Available Sizes: 8.5 – 15
- Height: Mid Cut
- Weight: 12.1 oz.
- Uppers: Synthetic & Mesh
- Sole: Graphene Outsole, POWERFLOW midsole
- Closure: Lace-Up
- Waterproof: Yes
- Available Colours: Brown/Red, Navy/Yellow, Black
14. VerBockel ‘Day Pack’ Rolltop Backpack 2.0
The VerBockel ‘Day Pack’ Rolltop Backpack 2.0 is a handcrafted sturdy canvas rolltop backpack made for any serious outdoor adventurer. It uses ballistic wax canvas to give you a weatherproof, abrasion-resistant daypack that is expandable from 21L TO 30 L capacity. With this backpack, you get to protect your 15” Macbook or other laptops from mildew and other forms of water intrusion while out on a camping trip. And, you can rely on the 2” mil-spec seatbelt MOLLE webbing for additional storage.
- Holds 13” to 15” laptops and tablets
- 2” quick-release buckle system
- YKK water-repellent zippers
- Padded shoulder straps
- 21 L – 30 L storage capacity
- Brand: Defy
- Dimensions: 12.5″ W x 5.5″ D x 15.5″-21.5″ H
- Weight: 3.5 lbs
- Material: 14 oz. TEXWAX™ Original Wax Canvas
15. Chrome Urban EX 2.0 Rolltop 30L Backpack
This functional rolltop backpack from Chrome Industries is an absolute dream choice for urban cyclists that admire the minimalist look. The Chrome Urban EX 2.0 is a welded waterproof rolltop backpack to carry up to 20L of cargo. It features an ergonomic construction ideal for bike commuting and sports a 15” padded laptop sleeve and exterior pockets. There are balanced shoulder straps with yoke and reflective attachment loops to keep you comfortable and visible when riding all those lonely miles on the road.
- Lightweight, knurled welded construction
- Reflective attachment loops
- Adjustable design for additional 6L space
- 30 L storage capacity
- Brand: Chrome
- Dimensions: 27.55 x 11.41 x 5.9 inches
- Weight: 2 lbs
- Material: 600D Polyester, 420D Nylon
- Available colours: Black
16. Urban Dezire Men’s Leather Vintage Roll On Laptop Backpack
The Urban Dezire Leather Vintage Roll On Laptop Backpack features two main inner compartments, a padded laptop sleeve, and one large front pocket. It is your go-to leather backpack for easy access to your laptop, books, smartphone, or hiking accessories while on a weekend getaway. Its zippered compartments keep your interior contents dry and safe as you move through even nasty weather conditions. Indeed, this backpack uses handcrafted natural leather with a sturdy canvas lining to present you with a vintage style that will age well over time.
- Full-grain leather exterior, inner canvas lining
- 17” padded laptop sleeve
- Adjustable shoulder straps & buckle
- Brand: Urban Dezire
- Dimensions: 14 x 4 x 24 inches
- Weight: 2.7 lbs
- Material: Leather
- Available Colours: Brown
17. WP-STANDARD – ROLL TOP BACKPACK
The WP Standard Roll Top Backpack is another well-made leather rolltop backpack for anyone going on a casual business trip. It has just the right amount of functionality combined with business-smart looks to ensure that you remain in the good graces of the fashion police.
This rolltop bag features main compartments, two external pockets, and an extra zippered pocket. These storage pockets will fit your hiking gear, drinks, and accessories. Further, it has no zippers on its leather exterior, enabling it to last longer than most roll-top backpacks. And, the backpack uses adjustable webbed canvas shoulder straps and a grab handle for convenient carry.
- Distinctive, full-grain leather with brass hardware
- A handmade, solid pattern
- Forgoes standard zippers
- Lifetime manufacturer guarantee
- Brand: WP STANDARD
- Dimensions: 12.5”L x 4”W x 16”H
- Weight: 4lbs
- Material: 100% Full-Grain Leather, Brass Hardware, Cotton Straps
- Available Colours: Tan, Brown, Black
18. Thule Covert DSLR Rolltop Daypack
When you need to carry a full-sized DSLR, a flash, and up to 3 lenses plus other camera accessories on your urban photography day trips, consider getting the Thule Covert DSLR Rolltop Daypack. It’s a spacious rolltop backpack that is extraordinarily customizable to fit all your gear. Each compartment uses a removable pod system and interior dividers for organization. Plus, the bag uses quick side access and dual-density padding at the bottom.
- Water-resistant, balanced and ergonomically optimized chassis system
- Dedicated 15” laptop sleeve
- Origami-inspired divider system
- Removable camera pod-style
- Brand: Thule
- Dimensions: 17.7 x 7.9 x 21.3 inches
- Weight: 4.97 lbs
- Material: 100% Nylon
- Available colours: Dark shadow, Mineral
19. The Minimalist, Arkiv® R2 20L Pre-Built Backpack
The Minimalist, Arkiv® R2 20L Pre-Built Backpack uses a patented modular system, giving you the option to customize the bag as you want. You can choose to switch from the roll-top style to the more traditional flap-down carrying or detach the tool pocket when not in use. Each compartment uses waterproof components that include urethane-coated YKK zippers and a sturdy internal metal frame sheet. Additionally, and to the great convenience I’ve discovered, the tool pocket has handy U-lock straps and belt loops, converting the medium pouch into a hip tool pack.
- 100% weatherproof construction
- 15” interior laptop sleeve
- Detachable tool pocket
- Exterior zippered pockets
- 20 L storage capacity
- Brand: Mission Workshop
- Dimensions: 12″ x 18″ x 5″
- Weight: 3 lbs
- Material: Cordura 1100D
- Available Colours: Black Waxed Canvas, Olive Waxed Canvas
20. Mifland – Rolltop Rucksack
First of all, let’s avoid all the juvenile jokes about the name of this brand. However, I couldn’t help to snicker momentarily when discovering this backpack. If you’re looking for a functional rolltop backpack with a touch of luxury, consider this amazing Rolltop Rucksack. It is a seamless, full leather bag with an elegant, luxurious appeal. The bag uses a mid-weight supple leather that stands up to 22 inches tall. As a result, it’s suitable for a casual hiker or anyone exploring urban surroundings in exquisite style. The lack of exterior pockets or zippers gives it its smooth contours for a minimalistic design. And, it relies on a drawstring to fold down your carry size up to a compact 16 inches. On each side, there are dual belt-styled shoulder straps with aesthetic button studs.
- Mid-weight, supple–grade leather
- Silver hardware accents
- Roomy interior
- Leather drawstrings
- Detachable straps
- Brand: Mifland
- Dimensions: 16-22in Height / 12in Width / 6in Depth
- Material: Leather
- Available Colours: Rustic Brown Leather
21. Road Runner Bags – Large Rolltop Backpack
Road Runners Bags make small, medium, and large rolltop backpacks to suit your exacting needs. In particular, the Large Roll Top Backpack is the most spacious model by the brand. It features a water-resistant main compartment with a 33 L capacity. Yet, you can stretch out the roll-top closure to create additional space for up to a total of 46 L for your groceries or weekend getaway supplies. The backpack relies on its waterproof capabilities to keep your luggage dry and safe. Its dual padded waist and shoulder straps and padded back panel relieve pressure on your body when using the bag at full capacity. And, it has lots of pockets at the front and side to keep your smaller items organized.
- Heavy-duty, weatherproof floating liner
- 100% vegan components
- Reflective strip silver 3M
- Breathable mesh back, side compression straps
- 33 L – 46 L storage capacity
- Brand: Road Runner Bags
- Dimensions: Height: 18″- 25″, Width: 14″ Depth 8″
- Weight: 2.5 lbs
- Material: 1000D Cordura Shell, Nylon & Polypropylene Webbing
- Available Colours: Black Cordura, Burgundy Cordura, Grey Cordura, Navy Cordura, Olive Cordura, Rust Cordura
22. Besnfoto DSLR Camera Backpack Rolltop
And last but certainly not least, I wanted to include the Besnfoto DSLR Camera Backpack Rolltop because it’s perfectly suited for photographers who like taking their hobby into the wilderness, rain or shine. As a photography bag, it fits 1 DSLR, two lenses, a 15.6-inch laptop, bottle, tripod, and plenty of additional accessories. While you can fit your jackets, sweater, books, smartphone, laptop, and smaller hiking gear when going on a trek, the backpack uses a minimalistic design ideal for any adventuring photographer. As any good camera bag does, it offers quick side camera access and sturdy top and front zippered pockets for your smaller accessories. Use the easy-to-open magnetic buckle system to open and secure your expensive gear.
- Padded anti-theft 15.6” laptop sleeve
- Detachable camera compartment & side tripod holder
- Non-slip wear-resistant base
- Waist belt, chest strap, luggage strap
- 23 L storage capacity
- Brand: Besnfoto
- Dimensions: 11.02 x 6.69 x 27.56 inches
- Weight: 4.3 lbs
- Material: Soft Tarpaulin & Nylon
- Available colours: Black