Do you have a goatee, with or without a mustache, a chin strip, or Van Dyke Beard? Whatever your chosen beard style, grooming this hair patch becomes an essential daily routine. From shampooing, oiling, detangling, styling, shaping, and maintaining your killer bearded look throughout the day, a winning beard care routine starts with a wash using the best beard shampoo. And while we’ll cover shampoos in this article, don’t forget that there’s also place for beard balms in your routine.
This buying guide will give you some answers about beard shampoos, a vital grooming product for a clean and well-maintained beard. Most beard shampoos retail as viscous liquids, though you may get powdered or bar soap versions to suit different facial hair needs. So before you pick the best beard shampoo, know your beard type first. For example, an oily or fine beard needs a sulphate-based dry shampoo to get rid of any impurities clogging new growth. Only such ingredients may strip the natural oils in a dry beard, leaving it brittle and susceptible to breakage. Next, a beard conditioning shampoo addresses any damage due to styling, itchiness, beardruff, or any other specific issue.
If you have trouble getting the blend of ingredients you need for your beard, you may alternate different beard shampoo brands. Also, to get the best out of the available best beard shampoos, change your choice brand and shampoo type every six months. Not only will you discover new products hitting the market, but you will have a better understanding of how your beard behaves with different ingredients. Still have questions you need answering? Check out the frequently asked questions about beard shampoos below.
What’s the difference between beard shampoo and hair shampoo?
Beard shampoos and hair shampoos target hairs of varying textures, thickness, and dryness. The beard is known to have tougher hair strands, hence requiring more conditioning and moisturizing agents.
Second, regular hair shampoos are silicone-based and sulphate-based; hence tend to strip natural oils from the hair strands. In contrast, most beard shampoos rely on natural ingredients that nourish, moisturize, and seal in the beard hair’s natural oils.
Third, beard shampoos must target the mouth and nose areas. This product must have a pleasant taste and a mild smell. In contrast, you can get away using hair shampoos with chemical fragrances with a bitter taste or a scent you won’t be forced to smell right under your nose.
Finally, beard hair is prone to regular shaving and trimming. It tends to have more split ends. Plus, its location near the mouth means food particles or dust may accumulate and cause nasty flaking.
Do beard shampoos work?
Yes. A beard shampoo taps into the power of natural oils to accomplish the following grooming goals:
- Deep clean and condition the beard
- Hydrate the beard
- Unclog facial pores
- Get rid of itchiness, irritation, and flakiness
- Kill harmful germs and bacteria
- Restore the natural shine of your facial hair
- Get rid of excessive natural oil
- Repair split ends, and dry and damaged strands
Should I shampoo my beard?
Yes. Opting to shampoo your beard instead of using regular soap or hair shampoo is beneficial in the following ways:
- It keeps your beard smelling fresh
- It gets rid of frizzles and brittleness
- It removes any debris or dirt
- It makes styling your beard manageable
- It unclogs the beard strands for better blood circulation
Will beard shampoo get rid of beard dandruff?
Yes. A beard shampoo uses natural oils that soak and wash away any dead cells, rejuvenate new growth, and prevent itchiness and irritation.
How often should I wash my beard?
Wash your beard depending on its texture, nutritional needs, and thickness. For example, minimize washing of a dry and damaged beard to 2-3 times per week. But, you may shampoo your short beard every other day.
1. Seven Potions Beard Shampoo for Men
Seven Potions Beard Shampoo for Men comprises natural oils and organic extracts that will cleanse your beard while remaining gentle against your skin. It leaves your beard itchy-free, combats split ends and gets rid of beardruff. Besides, it is a lightweight and uplifting shampoo retailing in a woodland harmony or citrus tonic fragrance.
- Mild beard dandruff shampoo for everyday use
- It uses a delightful manly plant essence
- Vegan –friendly, cruelty-free product
- Brand: Seven Potions
- Size: 3.4 Fl (Oz)
- Dimensions/Size: 1.81 x 1.81 x 4.13 inches; 4.27 Ounces
- Type: Everyday Beard Shampoo
- Key Ingredients: Hydrolysed Wheat Protein, Aloe Vera Leaf Powder, Organic Blackcurrant Seed Extract
- Scent: Woodland Harmony, Citrus Tonic
2. Billy Jealousy Beard Wash Hydrating Men's Beard Shampoo
The Billy Jealousy Beard Wash is a hydrating shampoo that deeply conditions and hydrates dry and damaged beard hair. This wash relies on a sulphate-free blend that includes hydrating aloe leaf juice and conditioning soy protein. This blend is safe on sensitive skin and retains your natural oils. Indeed, this wash was once the Esquire Award Winner and Askmen.com Award Winner.
- Award-winning beard shampoo and conditioner for dry, damaged beard hair
- Cleans, hydrates & detangles all beard types
- Uses soy protein for long-lasting luster
- Paraben-free, ideal for sensitive skin
- Brand: Billy Jealousy
- Size: 8 Fl (Oz)
- Dimensions: 3 x 2 x 6.5 inches; 8 Ounces
- Type: Dry & Damaged Beard Wash
- Key Ingredients: Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Honey Extract, Green Tea Extract, Fragrance
- Scent: Fresh, Sandalwood, Lavender, Oak Moss
3. Beardsley Ultra Grooming Shampoo & Wash for Beards
Do you struggle with bitter-tasting beard shampoos around your mouth? Well, consider getting the Beardsley Ultra Shampoo for Beards, a facial cleanser that keeps your mustache fresh and clean, with no soapy aftertaste. It is a plus for anyone whose beard comes into close contact with foods, drinks, or cigarettes. This shampoo is by Beardsley & Company, a renowned brand for facial hair care products.
- Pleasant-tasting beard shampoo for thick mustaches
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Ideal for the beard and hair
- Brand: Beardsley & Company
- Size: 8.0 Fl (Oz)
- Dimensions/Size: 2 x 2 x 4.38 inches; 9.6 Ounces
- Type: Everyday Cleanser
- Key Ingredients: Botanical ingredients
- Scent: Wild Berry, Cantaloupe Flavors
4. Spartans Den Premium Beard Shampoo 8oz
Now, here is the best beard shampoo for growth with no heavy residues or drying effects. The Spartans Den Premium Beard Shampoo uses coconut oil for healthy and thick beard growth. Plus, it has Shea plus Aloe Vera extracts essential in treating beardruff, flakiness, and itchiness. It is the type of shampoo that is tough on grime, dirt, and impurities while soothing your beard strands for faster beard growth.
- Beard shampoo with a classic exhilarating fragrance and luxurious lather
- Promotes thicker and faster beard growth
- Retails in convenient small batches
- Brand: Spartans Den
- Size: 8 Fl (Oz)
- Dimensions: 6 x 2 x 2 inches; 9.6 Ounces
- Type: Medicated Beard Wash
- Key Ingredients: Coconut oil, Shea plus Aloe Vera
- Scent: Classic Scent
5. Duke Cannon Best Damn Beard Wash, 6 Ounce
If your beard is itchy, tends to stink due to the dirt and dust accumulation, and is of a thick or coarse texture that is tough to groom, the Duke Cannon Best Beard Wash is your best pick for a clean, fresh-smelling beard. Indeed, this plant-based beard wash has lots of extracts that will deep clean, moisturize, soften, and condition your beard.
- A natural and organic plant-based best beard shampoo and conditioner
- Moisturizes and forms a protective shield for your natural oils
- Sulphate-free, paraben-free, ideal for sensitive skin
- Part of the sale proceeds assists U.S. Veterans
- Brand: Duke Cannon Supply Co.
- Size: 6 Fl (Oz)
- Dimensions: 6.8 x 3 x 2 inches; 6 Ounces
- Type: Dry & Normal Beard Wash
- Key Ingredients: Soybean Oil, Glycerin, Lime Oil, Lemon Peel Oil, Hops Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, (Rice) Bran Wax
- Scent: Citrus Hefeweizen
6. ZEUS Beard Shampoo and Wash for Men - 8oz
The ZEUS Beard Shampoo and Wash for Men is a mild beard washing cream formulated to combat itchiness and beardruff. For example, it uses green tea to hydrate and softens frizzes. Its soft floral base with citrus notes will leave your mustache clean and fresh-smelling. And, its Dragon’s Blood shields your beard hair oils for a natural lustre. Other active ingredients include chamomile, essential in maintaining your natural curls
- A mild beard dandruff shampoo for sensitive skin
- Uses natural and organic ingredients
- Removes frizzes, combats itchiness
- It retails in three elegant scents
- Brand: ZEUS
- Size: 8 Fl (Oz)
- Dimensions: 2 x 2 x 6.5 inches; 8 Ounces
- Type: Mustache & Beard Wash Cream
- Key Ingredients: Dragon’s Blood, Green Tea, Chamomile
- Scent: Verbena Lime, Sandalwood, or Vanilla Rum
7. HORACE Beard Shampoo
The HORACE Beard Shampoo is scientifically tested and proven to contain 98.9% certified organic ingredients and 100% natural fragrance. These are safe ingredients that gently cleanse and soften the beard and moisturizes and soothes the skin underneath. Your skin remains soft all day, and your beard strands are free from impurities, allowing overall growth. The inclusion of Aloe Vera is amazing at soothing the skin.
- Certified beard shampoo for all beard types
- Deep cleans, hydrates, soothes and promotes a thick healthy beard
- Silicon-free, sulphate-free, mineral oil-free, paraben-free
- Brand: HORACE
- Size: 250ml
- Type: Tested & Approved Beard Shampoo
- Key Ingredients: Aloe vera Leaf Extract, Glycerin, Argan Kernel Oil, Linseed Seed Oil, Castor Seed Oil, Jamaican Black Castor Oil
- Scent: Woody Aromatic
8. Beard Shampoo Wash - Vitamin B5 & Dead Sea Salt with Sandalwood Scent
If you struggle with a thinning or dry beard, a little dose of Vitamin B5 is all you may need to regain a full, healthier-looking beard. That’s why Rocky Mountain Barber Company makes the Beard Shampoo Wash with Vitamin B5 and Dead Sea Salt. We all know how Dead Sea salt has penetrative capabilities, hence able to unclog any blocked pores. The effect is a rejuvenated skin that promotes the added volume you always wanted.
- A volumizing beard wash for volume and body
- Uses argan and jojoba oils to relieve itchiness and irritation
- Unclogs pores to hydrate dry beard hair
- Uses natural sandalwood oil fragrance
- Brand: Rocky Mountain Barber Company
- Size: 5 Fl (Oz)
- Dimensions: 1.77 x 1.77 x 6.5 inches; 7.83 Ounces
- Type: Volumizing Beard Wash
- Key Ingredients: Dead Sea Salt, Argan Oil, Aloe Vera, Jojoba Seed Oil, ProVitamin B5, Sandalwood
- Scent: Sandalwood
9. Beard Wash by Mountaineer Brand (8oz)
Are you prone to getting a static beard? You know cold winter winds and excessive dryness may cause your beard strands to conduct electric charge leading to a frizzy unsightly look. Then, get the Mountain Brand Beard Wash, an all-natural hydrating beard shampoo for all beard types. For, it uses essential oils necessary in combating frizzes and flakes. Further, the shampoo will deep-clean each strand without stripping it its natural oils.
- Mild best beard shampoo for a deep cleanse
- It leaves the beard tangle-free, manageable, with a natural lustre
- Paraben-free, dye-free, vegan-friendly
- Brand: Mountaineer Brand
- Size: 8 Fl (Oz)
- Dimensions: 8.19 x 2.32 x 1.85 inches; 10.56 Ounces
- Type: 100% Natural Beard Wash
- Key Ingredients: INGREDIENTS: Coconut) Oil, Olive) Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil and Sunflower Seed Oil, Guar Gum, Vegetable Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Shea Butter, Cedarwood Oil, Fir Needle Oil, Eucalyptus Leaf Oil
- Scent: W.V.W.V. Citrus & Spice Scent
10. Roosevelt Supply Co. Beard Shampoo
What is your go-to beard shampoo and conditioner to repair split ends or damaged beard strands after prolonged dyeing? The Roosevelt Supply Co. Beard Shampoo is a 2-in-1 facial hair care product comprising of sulphate-free, paraben-free shampoo and conditioner. The aloe vera shampoo lathers quite well with just a few drops, locking in moisture. And, its argan oil conditioner deep conditions each strand to repair any damage or split ends.
- A sulphate-free beard shampoo with argan oil conditioner
- Lathers well smells awesome
- Includes 100% money-back guarantee
- Brand: Roosevelt Supply Co.
- Size: 8 Fl (Oz)
- Type: 2-in-1 Beard Shampoo & Conditioner
- Key Ingredients: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Flax Extract, Argan Oil
- Scent: Crater Lake (Rosemary & Mint), Glacier (Unscented)
11. Viking Revolution Beard Wash & Beard Conditioner Set
Now, an ideal beard grooming care routine includes a shampoo for cleaning, a conditioner for nourishing the strands, beard oil for styling, fragrance, a wooden comb and brush. If you are the type of person who prefers having all your grooming products from one brand, get the Viking Revolution Beard Wash & Beard Conditioner Set. It comprises the cleansing wash, organic-scented conditioner, and travel-friendly size beard oil. Now, you can keep your beard dirt and dust-free, healthy, and stylish.
- A complete beard grooming kit ideal for travel
- Strengthens the beard with essential oils
- Retails as a pack of 2
- Brand: Viking Revolution
- Size: 5 Fl (Oz)
- Dimensions: 6.1 x 3.1 x 1.8 inches; 12.8 Ounces
- Type: Beard Wash, Conditioner, and Oil
- Key Ingredients: Olive Oil, Argan Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Mentha Arvensis Leaf Oil, Jojoba Oil
- Scent: Natural Peppermint & Eucalyptus Scent
12. Bluebeards Original Beard Wash with Extra Conditioning
The Bluebeards Original Beard Wash comprises a generous conditioner and shampoo blend that will tame even the wildest beards. This gentle blend works through each beard strand to unclog the pores, hydrate the strands, nourish them with essential oils, and restore the natural shine. Hence, you can forget about flaking, beardruff, or frizzes associated with thick and long beards. Besides, it is a sulphate-free combination that is excellent on dry and damaged beard hair.
- Jumbo-sized beard wash with extra conditioning
- Combats frizzes and flakes
- Sulphate-free ingredients
- Brand: Bluebeards Original
- Size: 8.5 Fl (Oz)
- Dimensions: 2.25 x 2.25 x 5.75 inches; 5.64 Ounces
- Type: Conditioning Beard Wash
- Key Ingredients: Coconut Derivative, Glycerin, Honey, Vitamin E, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Provitamin B5, Lime Essential Oil
- Scent: Natural Scent
13. Smoky Mountain Beards Big Beard Soaps
The Smoky Mountain Beards Big Beard Soap is an organic bar soap packed with natural oils to help you clean and manage your beard. It is a great choice for anyone with a shorter beard. Likewise, if your beard is dry and damaged, this bar soap is more forgiving, with no stripping agents.
- An all-organic big beard soap
- Retails in eight versatile scents
- Has no stripping agents
- Great on short, thick, coarse, and damaged beards
- Brand: Smoky Mountain Beards
- Size: 5 Oz.
- Type: Beard Bar Soap
- Key Ingredients: Ingredients: Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Safflower Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Oat Protein, Fragrance Oil, Oxide Colorant, Activated Charcoal
- Scent: Bootlegger (Sandalwood & Bourbon), Whisky Barrel (Vanilla & Oak), Cabin Smoke (Tobacco & Mahogany), Mountain Creek (Cedarwood & Patchouli), White Lightnin’ (Bay Rum), Cumberland (Cedar & Leather), Bluegrass (Cinnamon & Clove), Simple Life (Unscented)
14. MAAPILIM Beard Wash
This incredible beard wash from MAAPILIM is a cleanser and a moisturizing beard shampoo packed with essential oils. It taps into the healing properties of argan oil to soothe any dry or damaged beard and skin. Its sweet almond oil infusion nourishes the beard while keeping the skin underneath it smooth and itchy-free. Oh, what I wouldn’t give for an itchy-free beard. You ever think about why human males evolved to have beards, and yet our faces never evolved to not be itchy from said beards? It seems like a rather stupid evolutionary design, doesn’t it?
- A lightweight beard wash that will no chemical residues
- Sweet smell
- Retains your natural oils
- Brand: MAAPILIM
- Size: 8.4 Fl (Oz)
- Type: Mediterranean-Themed Beard Wash
- Key Ingredients: Argan Oil, Sweet Almond Oil
- Scent: Cedar, Citrus & Lavender
15. Polished Gentleman Beard Growth Shampoo and Conditioner Set
Growing a thicker and fuller beard is sometimes, unless you’re genetically blessed, no walk in the park. More so when your beard strands are dry, damaged, or inherently scanty. That’s why the Polished Gentleman Beard Growth Shampoo and Conditioner Set presents you with at least six natural ingredients that can stimulate the beard volume and length you want. Additionally, it features the antibacterial properties of Manuka honey, the soothing effect of aloe vera, strengthening coconut oil attributes, moisturizing results of Shea butter, and rejuvenating work of cocoa butter and rosemary extracts.
- Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory best beard shampoo for growth
- Sulphate-free, paraben-free
- It retails in three convenient sizes
- Brand: Polished Gentleman
- Size: 4 Fl (Oz), 8 Fl (Oz), 16 Fl (Oz)
- Dimensions: 3 x 1.5 x 5 inches; 4.16 Ounces
- Type: Beard Shampoo & Conditioner Set
- Key Ingredients: Aloe Vera, Oat Amino Protein, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Argan Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Peppermint, Orange Peel Oil, Manuka Honey
- Scent: Unscented
16. Professor Fuzzworthy's Beard SHAMPOO
There are three reasons why Professor Fuzzworthy’s Beard shampoo has been voted the #1 Best Beard Shampoo in the U.S. It is an all-natural beard wash packed with essential oils for thick and full growth. Second, it uses eco-friendly packaging materials, convenient for a regular traveller. It also retails in suitable quantities at affordable prices. Now, you can groom your beard with no worries about stripping effects of synthetic ingredients.
- Organic beard shampoo with a masculine woody scent
- Ideal for all beard hair types
- Combats itchiness, beardruff, and thinning
- Retails in 5 convenient sizes and packaging
- Brand: Beauty and the Bees
- Size: 2 – 27 Fl (Oz)
- Dimensions: 2 x 2 x 2 inches; 4.2 Ounces
- Type: Nourishing Beard Shampoo
- Key Ingredients: Mount Wellington spring water, olive, coconut castor oils, soy wax Leatherwood beeswax, Tasmanian Seaweed extract, Leatherwood honey, cocoa powder, essential oils
- Scent: Original
17. Jack Black - Beard Wash
If your beard is exposed to harsh weather elements regularly, you need to keep it in shape with adequate grooming. That’s why the Jack Black Beard Wash uses a PureScience Formula that comprises Aloe and Panthenol to clean, condition, treat and soften your battered beard strands. More so, it is your type of beard wash that will guard your skin from dryness even as it gets rid of excess oils and dirt.
- Ideal for all beard types
- Cleans, conditions, and protects your beard strands
- It lathers well with just a few drops
- It brings out the natural beard shine
- Brand: Black Jack
- Size: 6 Fl (Oz)
- Dimensions: 1.75 x 1.75 x 6.75 inches; 6 Ounces
- Type: All-Natural Beard Wash
- Key Ingredients: Shea Butter, Sunflower Seed Oil, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Jojoba Protein, Basil Leaf Extract, Rice Bran Extract, Sunflower Extract, Grapefruit Extract, Linseed Extract, Aloe Vera
- Scent: Aloe Vera Scent
18. Detroit Barbers - 8 oz. Beard Wash - Oakmoss & Grapefruit
Here is a beard wash that you can use as a conditioner, cleanser, or shampoo for different occasions. The Detroit Barbers Beard Wash will clean your beard to leave the strands breathing freely. It will moisturize and condition the beard to achieve a soft and easy manage result. And, it is your best pick when you are in the mood for some fresh-smelling beard exuding Oakmoss and Grapefruit fragrance.
- Best beard shampoo and conditioner for all-day freshness
- Achieves a soft, easy to maintain a beard
- Retails in small convenient batches
- Brand: Detroit Barbers
- Size: 8 Fl (Oz)
- Type: Moisturizing Beard Wash
- Key Ingredients: Coconut) Oil, Palm Kernel Oil, Olive Oil, Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Argan) Oil, Castor Seed Oil, Mango Seed Butter, Guar Gum
- Scent: Oakmoss & Grapefruit
19. Mr. Rugged Beard Wash and Conditioner for Men
An ageing beard can be tough to maintain. Think of the constant dryness, split ends, and patches. If you struggle with any of these, consider getting the Mr. Rugged Beard Wash and Conditioner for Men. It is a 2-in-1 facial hair care product that will strengthen and promote your beard growth. This wash uses refreshing peppermint to keep you feeling fresh all day. Its tea tree formulation will combat flaking and dandruff. And, its antioxidants are vital in protecting your beard hair and skin underneath it.
- An all-organic best beard shampoo for growth
- Ideal for ageing beard hairs
- Gets rid of excessive natural oils
- Softens and strengthens your beard strands
- Brand: Mr. Rugged
- Size: 4 Fl (Oz)
- Dimensions: 5.75 x 1.6 x 1.6 inches; 4.96 Ounces
- Type: Organic Beard Wash
- Key Ingredients: Lavender, Vitamin E, Peppermint, Tea Tree Oil, Aloe Vera, Chamomile, Jojoba, Vitamin B5
- Scent: Fresh, Lavender Scents